- This event has passed.
Architects Focus | Closing the Gap in New York City
April 29 @ 5:00 pm - 6:00 pm
- Ryan Lobello (Handel Architects)
- Dylan Martello (Steven Winter Associates)
- Louis Koehl (Handel Architects)
In the four years since the start of the Sendero Verde development, the gap between a certified Passive House and a code-minimum building in NYC has narrowed significantly. With two of the development’s three buildings nearing the end of construction, design team members from Handel Architects and Steven Winter Associates will discuss how Sendero Verde is proving to be a transitional project for their practices and the wider construction industry in NYC. We will discuss our successes, near misses, and other interesting revelations made by the design and construction teams. We will then have an open conversation with the audience to discuss insights into the design and construction of multi-family passive house as we rapidly close the gap between Passive House and code-minimums.
- We will provide a design overview and construction update of the Sendero Verde project, 100% affordable housing Passive House and mixed-use project in East Harlem.
- We will discuss materials, systems, and equipment explorations undertaken by the team, the hurdles to deploying these innovations, and what made it into the project and why.
- We will discuss the practice of building contingency into the PHPP energy estimates, where these contingencies are needed, and how close is too close to the edge.
- You will learn about details, concepts, and construction practices developed on Sendero Verde that the team has begun deploying on non-Passive House projects.
PHPP-IP Course I | An Introduction to the Passive House Planning Package (IP) (PHPP-IP).Discounts:We offer a $50 discount for NYPH members.Join NYPH Today >Continued Education Credits:Passive House Institute (PHI): 4 Learning Unites (LU)Course II Outline - Windows & Ventilation:5.0: Window Geometry6.0: Window Frames & Glass7.0: Shading8.0: Fresh Air VentilationCourse Description:The Passive House Planning Package (PHPP) […]Find out more »
Register — https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/7030941867668115983 Go into greater depth regarding the challenges and successful strategies employed to achieve the Passive House design criteria on significant projects in the Northeast. Topics covered include basic massing, shading and solar control; air barrier, weather barrier and thermal control layers; balanced ventilation, efficient heating, cooling and domestic hot water systems; models used to […]Find out more »
April 1 (Enrollment Deadline March 25) This course is for design/build & construction professionals who are concerned about moisture control, air sealing, thermal bridging, healthy indoor air, durability, resiliency, and affordability of high-performance.Find out more »