- This event has passed.
How We Build, How We Live: The Impact of Housing on Our Health and Wellness
June 8 @ 8:30 am - 12:00 pm$20
Ellen Tohn, Tohn Environmental Strategies and Brown School of Public Health
Dr. Megan Sandel, Boston Medical Center
Ellen Tohn and Megan Sandel are noted authorities on healthy homes.
Ellen is an environmental and health consultant with over 20 years of experience. She is the founder and principal of Tohn Environmental Strategies and a nationally recognized expert in housing-based environmental health threats, healthy housing and indoor air quality, and lead poisoning prevention. She has written extensively about the health benefits of energy upgrades and green housing, creating healthy and energy-efficient homes, health and green property management, and much more.
Megan is an associate professor of pediatrics at the Boston University Schools of Medicine and Public Health, the medical director of the National Center for Medical-Legal Partnership, and a co-principal investigator with Children’s Health Watch. Dr. Sandel is the former pediatric medical director of Boston Healthcare for the Homeless program and is a nationally recognized expert on housing and child health.
Together, they will speak about:
- Why housing stakeholders should care about health;
- Housing quality and energy upgrade opportunities;
- Health care investments in housing;
- Housing quality improvements at design, rehab, repairs, energy upgrades and property management; and
- Property based service enriched health actions.
The agenda also will include presentations about Connecticut programs that link health and housing. Speakers will include:
- Lori Stanlick, Jonathan Rose Companies
- Vin Tufo, Charter Oak Communities
- Andrea Pereira, LISC