PHPP-IP | COURSE III – DHW & Heating/Cooling
July 13 @ 12:00 pm - August 3 @ 1:00 pm
We offer a $50 discount for NYPH members.
Continued Education Credits:
Passive House Institute (PHI) available
Course III Outline – DHW & Heating/Cooling:
- 9.0: HOT WATER & APPLIANCES
- 10.0: OVERHEATING RISK & PASSIVE COOLING
- 11.0: ACTIVE COOLING & HEATING
- 12.0: PRIMARY ENERGY & CERTIFICATION
The Passive House Planning Package (PHPP) is a powerful tool for anyone looking to design, build or certify a Passive House project. This excel-based energy modeling software can yield tremendous insight into how our buildings are performing and can help design and construction teams identify the best pathways to a healthy, durable and low-energy project. However, along with this power comes complexity. The PHPP can often be quite intimidating to first-time users, and even experienced practitioners can easily get lost within this multifaceted tool.
The comprehensive course, organized into easy to digest Modules, will introduce participants to the proper use of the PHPP within the context of a residential building project. By following along with the course, through a mix of self-paced online video lectures and synchronous in-person sessions, participants will learn how to transform a set of architectural drawings, details and specifications into a fully fledged PHPP model. Along the way we’ll also dive into the background, conventions, standards and rules which govern the use of the PHPP for Certified Passive House buildings. Additionally, we’ll see how we can use the PHPP to test design iterations, evaluate building performance and gain a better understanding of the Passive House performance targets. This course is designed with the US practitioner in mind and will be conducted in English, using the IP version of the software. The course will work best for those participants who want to ‘model-along’ and so having a working copy of the PHPP v9.7-IP will be important, though not required. This course will be useful to anyone looking to better understand this powerful and important piece of the Passive House toolkit.
- Tue, July 13 at 12:00PM – 1:00PM
- Tue, July 20 at 12:00PM – 1:00PM
- Tue, July 27 at 12:00PM – 1:00PM
- Tue, August 3 at 12:00PM – 1:00PM
- Passive House Designers and Consultants
- Contractors, architects, and engineers
- Building officials and code officials
- Students and faculty
Prerequisites / required background knowledge:
- Basic knowledge of Excel
- Basic understanding of passive house principles
Learning resources provided:
All the required resources throughout the course will be provided on Canvas. At the end of each class, the required reading assignments and due dates will be highlighted.
- Digital copy of course slide.
- Lecture video recording for 60 days after the event has ended.
Learning resources required:
- Everyone should have a PHPP-IPv9.7
- Working copy of Microsoft Excel. Note: PHPP does not work in Apple-Numbers or Google-Sheets.
- Ability to open and view PDF document
- By the successful completion of this course, attendees will be able to:
- UNDERSTANDING: Proper use of the PHPP within the context of a residential building project.
- COMPETENCE: How to transform a set of architectural drawings, details and specifications into a fully fledged PHPP model
- DISCUSS: Standards and rules which govern the use of the PHPP for Certified Passive House buildings
- DISCOVER: Use the PHPP to test design iterations, evaluate building performance
Join the Energy Cohort for a special session on Passive House for Affordable Housing Developers. This presentation will cover what’s different during design and construction, roles on the project team, conducting feasibility studies, and lessons learned from practice. Updated information on incentives and standards will be shared and Q&A will be included. Speakers: Aaron Gunderson, […]Find out more »
An Introduction to the Passive House Planning Package (IP) (PHPP-IP).Discounts:We offer a $50 discount for NYPH members.Join NYPH Today >Continued Education Credits:Passive House Institute (PHI) availableCourse III Outline - DHW & Heating/Cooling:9.0: HOT WATER & APPLIANCES10.0: OVERHEATING RISK & PASSIVE COOLING11.0: ACTIVE COOLING & HEATING12.0: PRIMARY ENERGY & CERTIFICATIONCourse Description:The Passive House Planning Package (PHPP) […]Find out more »