December 1 - 12:00 pmEnd:
December 11 - 03:00 pm
- Step 1 – Apply for registration: $0.00 – wait to receive confirmation of acceptance, then move on to Step 2.
- Step 2 – Complete Registration: General Admission $1050.00, PHAUS members $1000.00
To be certified, there is a third step of completing an exam, which has a separate fee. Exam information is here.
IMPORTANT: Completing Step 1 does not guarantee admission for a specific date. If this session fills up, you will be notified and placed on a wait list.
Become a PHIUS Certified Passive House Builder (CPHB)!
Superinsulation, airtight envelopes, high-performance window installation, site management, component sourcing—passive house construction presents special challenges to builders. The PHIUS CPHB training program prepares construction professionals to meet the passive house challenge.
Dan Whitmore, Mike Kernagis, and Natalie Leonard—who have built 25+ successful passive house projects between them—developed the curriculum. Topics range from design theory and climate-specific detailing to materials, techniques, project management, and quality assurance.
The course offers real-world insights into on-site implementation as well as counseling and advice on both the practical and business concerns specific to passive house. The material covers not only craftsmanship, but also risks and liability to the passive house contractor and guidance in both problem-solving and (more importantly) problem avoidance.
- Phase I: An 8-hour online prep course completed prior to Phase II
- Phase II: 8 days of online course delivery, 3 hours per day over a 2 week period, on the following days: December 1-4 and 8-11, from 12-3 pm Eastern Time (9 am-12 pm Pacific)
- A total of approximately 32 hours of course content (Phase I + Phase II)
- Learn general passive house principles
- Classroom and field focus on enclosure issues
- HVAC considerations and testing
- Cost optimization/bidding
- QA/QC process
To become a PHIUS Certified Passive House Builder, trainees must:
- Complete and return the qualifying exam within three weeks of completing class (exam requires separate registration, see information here)
- Earn a passing grade of 75%
- Provide proof of licensure and insurance for jurisdictions where they are required
CPHBs are listed on the PHIUS online database of Certified Builders, and are licensed to use the PHIUS Certified Builder logo and accompanying recommended language.
Completion of this course qualifies trainees for the following credits:
- AIA: 32.5 hours of HSW Learning Units
- BPI: 12.75 CEU
- CPHC: 32.5 CEU